Tuesday, April 6, 2010

All About The Chicken


I borrowed a 20 quart stock pan from my dear friend, Jim. The recipe started with 15 pounds of chicken. I used a whole chicken, chicken backs, and chicken pieces, any assortment will do.

Next I added the celery, carrots, yellow onions, garlic bulb and parsnips. The veggies are cut apart but do not need to be peeled.

Next, layer in fresh parsley, dill and thyme, kosher salt and pepper. Add 7 quarts of water, bring to a boil, and then simmer for at least three hours.  Strain the stock into containers and chill overnight in the fridge. On the next day, skim the fat from the stock and serve or freeze for future use.

By the way, my leg is healing and the scar has taken on this weird "S" shape. While my daughter suggested that it stands for "Satan",  I prefer "Susan's Sexy Seder Sauce Scar".



Then I tackled the perfect roasted chicken. Seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper, it rests on a nest of chopped veggies in a roasting pan. It is stuffed with a whole lemon and fresh herbs, including rosemary.
Jamie's perfect roast chicken really was delicious. I also made the gravy adding red wine and some of the homemade stock to the roasted veggies and dippings. My best gravy attempt ever. Soon I will be ready to invite others over to share in the goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment